- "Sasquatches are perhaps the most misunderstood creatures on the North American continent. They are feared by wizard and No-Maj alike because of their huge, hairy visage, and for their ability to use some quite potent magic – which makes them unpredictable. The discrimination these beings have faced from the wizard community, and the fear that has been display towards them by some in the No-Maj community, has often driven them into the open arms of Dark witches and wizards, furthering the stigmatization surrounding them."
- —Description of Sasquatches in Sasquatch: The Great Rebellion[src]
A Sasquatch (known as Bigfoot by some wizards and No-Majs, and by a variety of other names by the Native Americans) is a tall, hairy humanoid, similar to a giant, that dwells all across the North American continent. A powerful race, capable of preforming rudimentary magic, sasquatch dwell in heavily forested areas and live in small family groups; though they have been known to gather in larger numbers, such as they did in the Great Sasquatch Rebellion of 1892.
Behavior and traits
- "They vanished in the same forest without a trace. Not one of them was ever found or heard from again."
- —A No-Maj account regarding Sasquatch[src]
Sasquatch are incredibly intelligent beings, rivaling humans with their capacity for intelligent thought. They possess their own language and are capable of understanding human language; they are also capable of comprehending and utilizing magic. Like humans, they form mating pairs for life, and live in family units numbering between four and five members.
Despite possessing the capacity for speech, Sasquatch are known for their silence – speaking pointedly whenever they do choose to vocalize. This often comes across as intimidating to human beings. Furthermore, they have short tempers which can quickly turn violent. Despite this, they are also very loyal beings, especially to their family units; this trait has also been displayed between sasquatches and a particularly special witch or wizard, though such bonds are exceedingly rare.
While the sasquatches encountered in the Pacific Northwest or even along the east coast of the United States tend to be active both during the day and the night, the sasquatches that inhabit Canada tend to be nocturnal. It is unclear why this distinction exists.
Like giants, sasquatches possess enormous strength; additionally, their hide are highly resistant to spells, meaning only the most potent of magic can affect them.
Great Sasquatch Rebellion
In 1892, a large army of sasquatches rose up against the Magical Congress of the United States of America in open-rebellion due to the widespread cruel treatment of their kind by the American magical government: an event known as the Great Sasquatch Rebellion of 1892. The rebellion forced the American government to move its headquarters from Washington to New York, where sasquatches were less common.
Behind the scenes
- A family of sasquatches is referred to as a "troop." This term is shared amongst most primate families.
- Sasquatch on Harry Potter Wiki